UK Cycling Events Terms and Conditions
The Terms and Conditions detailed below apply to all entrants participating in any event organised and operated by UK Cycling Events Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling. Completion of an entry form or purchase of an entry by (or on behalf of) the participant acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
SECTION A: GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The participant accepts that the event they are entering is not a race in any format. Results will be published for individuals only and anyone considered to be competing against others will be stopped from riding and banned from entering future events.
- The participant is fully responsible for their actions whilst attending the event. This includes the event centre and during the ride itself. UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling do not accept responsibility for the actions of the participant, nor the consequences of such actions.
- Each participant, upon signing the registration form or purchasing a ticket, agrees that they are physically and mentally capable of riding the distance they have chosen. If during the event, they decide to change their route and distance, then all consequences of this action are theirs.
- The Event Registration Form or purchase of an entry to an event must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. Evidence of age may be requested. Participants under the age of 18 years will be allowed to participate in the event with the consent of their parent or legal guardian who must sign the Event Registration Form or purchase a ticket on behalf of the underage rider. Signing or purchasing a ticket is also an acceptance for the actions and consequences of the underage rider. Under 16’s need to be accompanied at all times by an adult who is responsible for them. Under 16's are not allowed to partake in any Adventure Cross event. Please see point 2 (two) in Section B.
- Each participant accepts full responsibility for any fees or costs incurred or arising from the need for repatriation.
- It is mandatory that all riders wear a safety-approved cycling helmet complying with latest EN1078, ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not wearing a helmet will not be covered by the event insurance and will be disqualified from the event and could be liable for damages if involved in an accident on that basis. The rider must accept this as a condition of entry. UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling reserve the right to refuse entry to the event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing.
- The participant confirms that the cycle/bike they are riding for the event and all of their equipment is of a suitable standard and state of trail/roadworthiness. In particular, the ability to complete the longest distance, and over rough terrain dependant on the event.
- During the event, there will be warning signs at appropriate points on the trails or roads. The absence of these signs does not signal there are no dangers approaching and it is the individual rider’s responsibility to make a decision regarding whether to ride a section or not. The marking of the route does not necessarily indicate that the trail or road is rideable and the participant is deemed to make their own decision about whether to proceed on bike, foot or not at all.
- Registering for a cycling event indicates your consent for UK Cycling Events Ltd to contact you with pre-event information and about relevant products or services and research via email, post, phone, SMS. You can opt out at any time via the unsubscribe links in the emails you are sent. By entering a Brewin Dolphin Velo Series event, organised by UK Cycling Events, you also consent to your data being shared with Brewin Dolphin, for marketing and promotional purposes. By entering a Sigma Sports Challenge Series event, organised by UK Cycling Events, you also consent to your data being shared with Sigma Sports, for marketing and promotional purposes. By entering a Wiggle Super Series event, organised by UK Cycling Events, you consent to your details being added to the Wiggle Newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- Any marked route is shown for guidance only and UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling do not insist that you use the route shown. Therefore, if the rider chooses to ride a section, it is entirely their own choice. If they choose a different route to avoid obstacles or sections they decide are beyond their capabilities, they do so entirely at their own risk.
- You must obey all Highway Code rules. You are requested to ride in single file where appropriate and no more than 2 (two) abreast at any time. Please be aware of your fellow cyclists, other road users, and any other traffic. Please always indicate your intention to stop or change direction. All cyclists must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, local bylaws and laws of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland where applicable and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road and off-road users.
- UK Cycling Events Ltd reserves the right to shorten or alter the published route at any time. Participants do not have the right to claim a refund if the route is shortened or altered.
- Riders must be considerate to other users of bridleways, tracks, byways and public ways when riding off-road. Upon seeing other users, such as horse riders, walkers, farm traffic, and other cyclists, etc. riders are required to slow down and pass with care. Where appropriate, riders should stop and wait at the side of the route for other users such as horse riders, etc. to pass safely.
- Each participant will be fully responsible for any fees or costs incurred or arising from an accident either involving or caused by the rider. This includes, but is not exclusive to, fees from Police, Air Ambulance, Fire and Rescue and the Ambulance service. If the situation arises that you are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, the rider agrees that a member of UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd or (where applicable*) the Rather be Cycling Event Team or a member of the public may call for them. In this situation, the rider still accepts the costs and consequences of such actions.
- Each participant hereby grants to UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling an exclusive, absolute and irrevocable worldwide assignment in perpetuity in the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant obtained at the event and grants to UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling the right to use and publish such content in any and all media. The participant hereby releases UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling from any and all liability from such use and promotion. The participant hereby authorises the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion of UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling. The participant specifically waives any right to any compensation they may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of the participant at a UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling event.
- In the event that a participant fails to complete the course for any reason, he or she agrees to return to or call the event centre before the close of the event and report to a member of staff. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and the subsequent cost will be billed to the rider.
- Event entry fees cannot be refunded or transferred under any circumstances.
- UK Cycling Events Ltd, Time Inc. (UK) Ltd and (where applicable*) Rather Be Cycling reserves the right to cancel any event, due to extreme weather conditions of Force Majeure. In such an event, each participants entry with be automatically moved to the rescheduled event. If a Participant can't make this event, they can carry their entry to another event of an equal or lower ticket value within the following 6 (six) month period. No refunds will be issued.
- It is a condition of entry for events outside of the United Kingdom, that riders are covered by a suitable level of travel insurance to cover the potential activity and liability involved.
- Participation in the event is at the riders own risk. Insurance cover is provided for all riders against a third party claim arising as a result of accidental damage to a third party property whilst participating in an event. This insurance cover is adjudged void if it is deemed the rider has acted negligently. No further insurance cover is provided by UK Cycling Events Ltd for riders participating in an event but UK Cycling Events Ltd strongly recommend each rider organises their own personal insurance cover. Adventure Cross participants must refer to point 3 (three) of Section B.
- In the case of competition entries and or giveaways, the winner agrees to the use of his or her name, photograph and disclosure of county of residence and will co-operate with any other reasonable requests by UK Cycling Events Ltd and Time Inc. (UK) Ltd relating to any post-winning publicity.
- Riders are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. Any rider found littering will be disqualified from the event.
- Riders are expected to respect the roads, villages and countryside that the events travel through. It should be remembered that this is both a working landscape and home to many communities. Riders stopping for a comfort break are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other riders.
- In the case of Mountain Bike and Cyclocross events, riders are expected to close all gates after they pass unless otherwise instructed. Riders must not leave a gate open for a rider following behind. Gates should be opened and closed and not vaulted. Any rider causing damage to a gate will be liable for any costs to repair said damage.
* refers to Adventure Cross events
SECTION B: ADVENTURE CROSS SPECIFIC TERMS AND CONDITIONS
In addition to the Terms and Conditions detailed above, the following points also apply to all entrants participating in an Adventure Cross event, organised and operated by Rather Be Cycling in conjunction with Time Inc. (UK) Ltd (the publishers of Cycling Weekly and MBR). Completion of an entry form or purchase of an entry to an event acknowledges acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by the participant.
Adventure Cross is a cross-country journey by bike that incorporates a mixture of tracks, trails, lanes, bridleways & roads to create an interesting and challenging route over a variety of terrain and surfaces. The on/off road nature of Adventure Cross routes makes a Cyclocross bike the ideal choice but, equally, a mountain bike can also be used.
- Each participant, upon signing the registration form, agrees that they understand the on/off road style of the Adventure Cross event they are entering and furthermore understands the arduous nature of the event, the terrain and style of riding. Furthermore, each participant confirms that they are physically fit and capable of undertaking this challenging event.
- The Event Registration Form must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. Evidence of age may be requested. Participants between the age's of 16-18 will be allowed to participate in the event with the consent of their parent or legal guardian who must sign the Event Registration Form on behalf of the underage rider. Signing is also an acceptance for the actions and consequences of the underage rider. 16 to 18-year-olds need to be accompanied at all times by an adult who is responsible for them and are only permitted to ride the short route. Adventure Cross events are not open to riders under 16.
- All riders are covered by third party insurance for the duration of the event. The cost of this is included in your entry fee. In addition, Rather Be Cycling is covered for civil party liability.